It's safe to say that as I've gotten older, my thoughts on fashion and style have drastically changed. I've gone from being extremely trend driven, to someone who is aiming to curate a wardrobe mostly full of essential pieces, that can be re-worn and paired with different things each time I go to wear them. Yes it's more expensive at the time, but in the long-run, it is so damn worth it.
This year, one of my main goals for 2018 is to invest in my wardrobe. It sounds rather silly, but, a few weeks ago I was packing my suitcase for a Summer vacation and realised that I had wasted so much money on items from cheaper, online boutiques that I wouldn't touch next season. You've probably assessed your own wardrobe like myself, and have also seen striped shirt dresses and pearl embellished denim shorts - Zara, I blame you - and thought, "shit, I really have wasted a tonne of money this season", because I did.
Fast-fashion stores like Zara and Glassons are great for mimicking new-season pieces that have just walked down the runway, but, it's important to not have your wardrobe full of just these items. I love these shops as much as the next person, but it's crucial to fill your wardrobe with better quality, more versatile pieces that'll last you seasons to come, that can also be worn all year round rather than just that time of year.
Remember, quality over quantity any day.
Those $60 jeans from Glassons may seem like a good idea at the time, but a few months down the track you'll be wishing that you took the plunge and invested $200 in a good quality pair from Nobody Denim, that could last you a life-time.
Below are my 5 must-have's for this Summer season.
***
1. White T-Shirt
Don't be fooled by the term 'basic' to describe a white t-shirt. In my opinion, it is one of, if not the most essential piece in any woman's closet. It's so essential due to how easy it is to pair with so many outfits. Whether you're pairing it with Topshop skinny jeans or leather mini skirt from L'Academie, a white t-shirt can take you from day to night.
They don't have to be expensive either. A plain white cotton v-neck from Uniqlo can be just as good as a logo tee from AJE, either way, extremely versatile and can be worn from season to season. It's a must.
Shop my favourites:
Kookai - $22.50
AJE - $190
Camilla & Marc - $99.95
Helmut Lang - $188
They don't have to be expensive either. A plain white cotton v-neck from Uniqlo can be just as good as a logo tee from AJE, either way, extremely versatile and can be worn from season to season. It's a must.
Shop my favourites:
Kookai - $22.50
AJE - $190
Camilla & Marc - $99.95
Helmut Lang - $188
![]() |
| @aliciabatista |
2. Shorts
Okay, so I've kinda cheated with this one, because I think it's important to have two different kinds of shorts in your wardrobe.
The first must, is a pair of mid-rise denim shorts. Personally, I love One Teaspoon. I think that they are extremely good quality and not over-the-top expensive. Denim shorts look good on absolutely everyone, and thanks to Elle Ferguson, I've learnt that they aren't just strictly for beach-side lunches on the weekend, and that they too can be dressed up with a white button-up shirt and some black pumps.
High waisted, trouser style shorts are the second pair that every fashion-loving female should have in their wardrobe. On those hot Summer night's when you're going out for a nice dinner and don't want to wear jeans, a pair of these shorts look great with wedges and an off-shoulder top.
Shop my favourites:
Denim
Lovers + Friends - $174
One Teaspoon - $99
Nobody Denim - $159
Dressier
Witchery - $79.95
Sass & Bide - $140
BCBG - $44
Bec & Bridge - $90
Okay, so I've kinda cheated with this one, because I think it's important to have two different kinds of shorts in your wardrobe.
The first must, is a pair of mid-rise denim shorts. Personally, I love One Teaspoon. I think that they are extremely good quality and not over-the-top expensive. Denim shorts look good on absolutely everyone, and thanks to Elle Ferguson, I've learnt that they aren't just strictly for beach-side lunches on the weekend, and that they too can be dressed up with a white button-up shirt and some black pumps.
High waisted, trouser style shorts are the second pair that every fashion-loving female should have in their wardrobe. On those hot Summer night's when you're going out for a nice dinner and don't want to wear jeans, a pair of these shorts look great with wedges and an off-shoulder top.
Shop my favourites:
Denim
Lovers + Friends - $174
One Teaspoon - $99
Nobody Denim - $159
Dressier
Witchery - $79.95
Sass & Bide - $140
BCBG - $44
Bec & Bridge - $90
![]() |
| @maddychippendale |
3. Boyfriend Jeans
I used to have severe anxiety when it came to boyfriend jeans. I thought that they looked extremely masculine and not at all flattering on my figure. Turns out, I was just wearing it completely wrong. Note to self: NEVER pair a crop top with these kinds of jeans ever again.
Another amazing day-to-night piece for your wardrobe. Styled with a t-shirt and slides one day and a blazer and pumps the next, you really can't go wrong.
ALSO, you usually find the best kinds of boyfriend jeans in vintage stores. Levi's boyfriend jeans are a personal favourite, but Ksubi and One Teaspoon also do them just as well.
Shop my favourites
AGOLDE - $237
ei8ht dreams - $198
Assembly Label - $99.95
![]() |
| whowhatwear.com.au |
4. Blazer
This isn't even just a Summer essential, it's a life essential. Truly.
Nothing looks better than a blazer paired with denim shorts or vintage denim jeans, in my opinion. Silk cami underneath, preferably.
I'm just a firm believer in chucking a blazer over the top of something so casual and it turned into something so fierce and put-together immediately. Manning Cartell make my favourite kinds of blazers, and I've had my eye on their white one with their gold buttons for months.
They are so worth the investment and will be worn all-year round, whether it be worn to work with a suit in the Winter or at the shops on a Wednesday.
White blazers in Summer, yes please.
Shop my favourites
Manning Cartell - $419
Witchery - $279.95
ASOS - $135
This isn't even just a Summer essential, it's a life essential. Truly.
Nothing looks better than a blazer paired with denim shorts or vintage denim jeans, in my opinion. Silk cami underneath, preferably.
I'm just a firm believer in chucking a blazer over the top of something so casual and it turned into something so fierce and put-together immediately. Manning Cartell make my favourite kinds of blazers, and I've had my eye on their white one with their gold buttons for months.
They are so worth the investment and will be worn all-year round, whether it be worn to work with a suit in the Winter or at the shops on a Wednesday.
White blazers in Summer, yes please.
Shop my favourites
Manning Cartell - $419
Witchery - $279.95
ASOS - $135
5. Espadrilles
Okay, so people may disagree with me slightly on this being a Summer essential, most probably because they are enclosed shoes and not completely ideal on a hot Summer's day, but, I'm obsessed. You've probably seen me wearing them multiple times on my Instagram this season, but it's because they literally go with everything. Although mine are $100 from Wanted Shoes, I am desperately saving to buy the Chanel ones that every girl and her mother owns. They look absolutely amazing with dresses, playsuits, shorts, jeans, seriously, everything. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!
Shop my favourites
ASOS - $9.50
Givenchy - $750
Castaner - $121
Macarena - $100
Witchery - $120
www.vivaluxury.blogspot.com
***
So, that concludes my Top Five Summer Essentials. I think that these 5 pieces are a must for everybody's wardrobe, and that it's totally worth investing in.
I'd love to know what your Summer essential is in your wardrobe.
With Love,
Madyson
***
SOCIALS:






Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment